Friday, October 26, 2012

giving back...

As a professional with my own business I like to take the time to think of others who are less fortunate. I signed up to be a part of a great event. Here are the details and my inspiration!!

The North Shore Association of Realtors has partnered with the Coalition to create a fun evening event that will include food and drinks and a one hour "furniture challenge" where 3 design groups 
(including yours truly) will be creating a room out of items from the Furniture Bank.
There will also be many custom redesigned pieces up for raffle.  

Designers participating include Paula Gaull of New Leaf Redesign
AJ Jaffe of Pure and simple HOME,  Danika Herrick, Overlays creator and blogger of Gorgeous Shiny Things
Julie Richard of Shelter Interior Design, (me of course) and Phyllis Tracy of Phyllis Tracy Interiors.

This event is to raise funds and awareness for the Furniture Bank
which collects your used or unwanted furniture and household items 
to be given to families and people transitioning out of homelessness into permanent housing.  
It is a brilliant cause that helps create the feeling of home, something many of us take for granted.

"The Furniture Bank works very similarly to the food bank concept.  It solicits donations of beds, couches, chairs, tables, and other household essentials; picks them up at no charge to the donor; and distributes them free of cost to those in need.  The Coalition’s Furniture Bank is one of the largest programs of its kind in the nation and in Massachusetts.  The program operates from its 40,000 square foot warehouse 20 minutes outside of metropolitan Boston.  During the year, on average over $3.5 million dollars worth of furniture and household goods are collected and distributed to thousands of households making the transition out of homelessness.  "

So here are the details:

What: An Inspiring Repurposed Furniture Challenge & Reception
When:  Thursday, November 1st  5-7:30 p.m.
Where:  Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless Furniture Bank Warehouse
15 Bubier Street, Lynn MA
How: Event Tickets available here for $20
(all proceeds go to the Furniture Bank)


Here is the piece that I've chosen to transform and donate! I am now one of the new design experts for ACE HARDWARE'S amazing new paint + primer in one line: CLARK + KENSINGTON. I'm excited about this new venture. Ace has been kind enough to donate the paint for this project!

I want to paint the piece in a shade of green- blue, I just haven't decided exactly which one! I am still loving minty green/blue shades much like the shade pictured below in furniture piece #1. (these beautiful bookshelves are available through Ivy and Vine.) The shades on the pieces  2 + 3 could also look gorgeous! So should I go with 1, 2 or 3?? Please share your thoughts. I need to make my decisions by tomorrow, I'm painting the piece this weekend! I'm also going to add some gold leaf accents to the top and leg tips! I may even attempt to highlight the original dove tail details, but I'm not certain how that will look yet. Happy Friday. I'll of course post the after shots next week.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE #1- that mint is divine!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

I think I have it narrowed down to either the mint or #2!! Thanks for the comment.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Number 2! I just redid a chest in a similar shade for my master and
LOVE it!

Laurie Sanderz said...

Your blog is a good one.
Affordable design

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails